SUNY OER Services
In response to the growing impact of Open Educational Resources (OER) adoption across SUNY, the Open SUNY Textbook (OST) project, originally launched from SUNY IITG
, is offering services to support wide faculty adoption of OER that can be effectively sustained, improved and shared, as well as delivered to students to give them the day-one access to course materials they need for academic success. Our OER services will continue to include supporting the development of new, original low-cost learning materials for SUNY students, using a financial model that any SUNY campus can easily join. These new and continuing services provide faculty with a common platform to remix, revise, reuse, redistribute, and retain openly-licensed content from any source, including their own original works.
SUNY OER Services is a scaled-up, networked, and sustainable approach to digital learning and publishing within the SUNY system, using curated OER content, faculty course supports, and instructional technology development and design.
Enabling easy integration of open materials into the classroom
- Faculty members discover OER materials through the OST catalog & request information about adoption or consults with OER experts to locate material.
- OST project staff collaborates with the faculty member to adapt OER to meet their course objectives.
- The open material is delivered digitally through the college’s LMS and in print through appropriate services like the campus bookstore or campus/external printing services.
Working closely with local stakeholders to ensure essential support for faculty and students
- OST facilitates a campus engagement process with key leadership and champions using the OER Success Framework, a rubric of standards derived from successful OER implementations nationally and in SUNY.
- OST offers online and in-person education and training for faculty, support staff, and administration.
- OST project staff works with the college library, IT, and administration to plan programmatic support and sustainability for OER.
Growing a community of practice around the discovery, use, and creation of OER in SUNY
- Campuses join OST, giving local OER adopters, creators, and support staff access to mentorship programs, in-depth training, project management, and editorial support.
Encouraging the creation and development of new learning materials and digital scholarship
- OST will develop grant programs and proposal procedures to support strategic OER creation and development.
- All SUNY faculty have a platform to experiment with, create, and share their learning materials.
Learn more about Pricing & Membership or our Faculty Services